What’s one way to make a luxury watch even more luxurious?
Well, if the watch is rare and there are only a few in circulation, that makes it more sought-after.
If it’s famous because of who wore it (maybe an astronaut in space or by James Bond), that can drive up value. What if it’s rare simply because it’s made of rare materials?
Part of what makes a meteorite dial so expensive is its uniqueness — no two look alike.
That’s the thinking behind meteorite dials.
The Gibeon Meteorite was first reported in 1838 but is actually reportedly millions of years old.
Scientists think the rock fell from outer space in prehistoric times and landed in the Namibian desert near the town of Gibeon. Rolex, as the industry’s leader, is always trying to make the next best watch.
Rolex was the first company to use slices of the meteorite in its dials, pairing them with 18k gold or 950 platinum to make one-of-a-kind watches. Rolex attached the slices to the dial surface and treated them with an acid-wash finish to create a crystalline pattern.
This process creates a unique pattern, ensuring that no two Rolex meteorite dials look alike.
Rolex used the meteorite dials on its Daytona and Day-Date models, already two of the most classic in its collection.
The meteorite dials can also be found on Datejust, Pearlmaster and GMT-Master II models.
So what does that uniqueness cost the consumer? Some can fetch as much as $30,000 on the market.
That may seem like a steep price, but the uniqueness and rarity — as well as being able to say you have a space rock on your wrist — is worth the cost for some.
Outside of Rolex, other companies have used meteorites in their dials.
Omega Speedmaster Grey Side of the Moon
Cartier Earth and Moon
Cartier Rotunde de Earth
Zodiac Super Sea Wolfe
Louis Monet Man on the Moon
Jaquet Droz Grande Seconds
Mark Sirianni Watch Repair
25 Fraley Street
Kane, Pa. 16735
CHARLEY PHOTO OF THE WEEK: Charley had a rough week with all those dang fireworks, but now she’s back on the grind with a daily routine of walks, naps, little snacks and generally looking cute.
Some recent posts
- What is an overcoil hairspring?The balance-spring is a small spring that through its elasticity regulates the oscillations of the balance. It is attached at its inner extremity to the axis of the balance and at its outer extremity to the cock. The flat balance spring, invented by the Dutch mathematician Huygens in 1675, had established a degree of isochronism which still left something to be desired. The flat balance spring was made of copper or iron and … Read more
- Are Rolex watches a good Investment?This week’s post was submitted by Bob’s Watches editorial team. In the realm of horology, Rolex continues to be a testament to precision, luxury and timeless design. The brand is a symbol of success, artistry and relentless pursuit of perfection. Among its illustrious lineup, the iconic Rolex Datejust dress watch stands as a paragon of elegance and innovation. First unveiled in 1945 to commemorate Rolex’s 40th anniversary, the Datejust was … Read more
- Women wearing men’s watchesBy now, you’re probably aware that watches come in styles for men and women. But what does that really mean? Men’s watches tend to be bigger and gaudier. There are a few reasons for this. Men often have larger wrists, so a bigger dial won’t look as overbearing on an arm. Additionally, that means bigger straps for men’s watches. Men’s watches tend to also have more detailed mechanisms, while women’s … Read more
- Watches with wild animal dialsThere are a few kinds of outdoors people in the world. Some like to hunt their game and have their trophies mounted on the wall. Others are more keen on observing — like a photographer for National Geographic or just watching a rabbit hop around the back yard. What if you want to incorporate some of the world’s biggest animals into your watch collection? With wild animal dials, you can … Read more
- Watches made from woodMost people’s idea of a watch include a dial with numbers to tell the time with metal or plastic, plus whatever material the band is made from. However, there are a handful of brands specializing in wooden watches. Born from a common idea, these sustainable timepieces have the future safety of our planet in mind. So not only will you be sporting a slick new timepiece, you can also be … Read more